Monday 1 July 2013

My First Gromit

Sunday 30th June 2013


This is the one that started it all off. I was wandering down Whiteladies Road, blissfully unaware of the Gromit furor that was about to be unleashed, when I spotted this little chap in front of the church. Curious to what it was, I snapped a photo. I then wandered on to sit in Costa and looked it up - only to find it was one of eighty! Woo-hoo, I've found a way to pass the time here in Bristol for the next four weeks! 

So this is Dog Rose - number 49 of the Gromits. She is designed by Ros Franklin, who is a Botanical Artist, Illustrator and Tutor. She is a Trustee at Kew Gardens (where i stayed at the Olympics!) and is famous for her work in the Eden Project in Cornwall. She says:

"Interpreting 'Unleashed' to be 'let loose; wild and free', and as Gromit is a dog, I wanted a subject to encompass both. As a botanical illustrator the Wild Dog Rose, rosa canina, did just that!" (Ros Franklin from the Gromit Unleashed App) 

In my opinion, this is a beautifully painted Gromit - the pink flowers growing up his body is quite girlie and I think he looks quite coy the way his eyes are looking upwards! 

Gromit Number:         49
Gromit Artist:             Ros Franklin
Gromit Sponsor:         AC Services(Southern) Limited  
Gromit Location:        Whiteladies Road, Clifton

No comments:

Post a Comment